Data Management for Archaeologists – 7 May 2021
Data Management for Archaeologists
Credits: 1 EC
Date: 7 May 2021
Location: Online through ZOOM
Also this year ARCHON organizes a workshop ‘Data Management for Archaeologists’. This workshop will provide the participants with a comprehensive knowledge of the current data management practices. The course touches upon all aspects of data management, with examples drawn from archaeological research practice. The workshop will introduce the participant to the principles of good research data management (RDM), policies concerning RDM and the benefits of RDM, and the practice of writing a data management plan (DMP).
• 10:00 – 10:45 Making your data FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable) (Kristina Hettne, Leiden University)
FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable) data is nowadays being required by most funders and also many universities have it in their policy that data should be FAIR. But what does it exactly mean and how do you go about making your data FAIR? In this first session the concept of FAIR data will be introduced and explained with concrete examples.
• 11:00 – 12:00 Example: FAIR Surveys Project (Martijn van Leusen, University of Groningen)
• 12:00 – 13:00 BREAK
• 13:00 – 14:00 Data Management in Archaeology (Wouter Kool, Kate Mokranova, University of Leiden)
In this session, the topics relevant to the writing of the Data Management Plan will be introduced. We will explain the steps involved in managing research datasets and discuss archaeology-specific issues pertaining to data documentation, data-structuring conventions and data safety and archiving.
• 14:00 – 15:00 Practical Assignment: making a data management plan
Here, the participants will write their own Data Management Plan based on the provided template. The resulting Data Management Plans will be peer-reviewed by the participants themselves during the Wrap-up session. Upon request, the participants can receive feedback on their DM Plan from the presenters as well.
• 15:00 – 16:00 Wrap-up of Practical Assignment
During this session, the participants are expected to spend time peer-reviewing the Data Management Plans of each other, followed by a discussion of the DM Plans in Breakout rooms. The presenters will provide general feedback for all Data Management Plans submitted by the participants.
• 16:00 – 17:00 Evaluation & drinks at home
* Interested in data management? You can also follow our free online course ‘working with databases’ at home! More information >>
Credits: Students can obtain 1 ECT by attending the workshop and handing in a reflection report. Please add your data management plan as an attachment.